Sau BaccaratWorking under the direction of the Sergeant of Uniform/Operations Division, incumbent patrols an assigned area on foot, motorcycle or in an automobile, to prevent crime or disturbances of the peace, to respond to calls for assistance and to arrest violators when necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Patrols assigned areas of the city, and familiarizes self with the area, persons, routines, etc. so as to note suspicious persons and/or events and report irregularities to superior officers;
- Answers calls for service involving disturbances, property crimes, traffic problems, alarm calls, or any other hazards involving public safety;
- Enforces all laws applicable within City limits;
- Conducts crime scene investigations and completes reports on same;
- Effectively enforces the laws of the State of Indiana;
- Appears in court as witness and as arresting officer;
- Directs or reroutes traffic in cases of emergencies;
- Ability to read and understand policies, rules, regulations, laws, instructions and police literature;
- Analyzes situations and adopt quick, effective, reasonable courses of action;
- Writes clear, accurate reports;
- Expresses self orally in an authoritative manner, when necessary;
- Drives an automobile safely and efficiently;
- Learns the care and use of firearms;
- Keen observation and the ability to remember names, faces and details;
- Physical agility and the ability to meet all prerequisites for age, weight, eyesight, height and physical and psychological capabilities;
- Possess the ability to carry a Department approved firearm and demonstrate proficiency in its use. Must be capable to physically engage to make a forcible arrest;
- Solves neighborhood concerns by working with citizens to gain input and advice so that a suitable course of action can be planned and implemented;
- Maintains valid Indiana Driver's License.
- Assists in receiving, searching, booking, fingerprinting and supervising prisoners;
- Investigates and reports crimes;
- Performs special assignments and duties depending on area of assignment;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Sau BaccaratTo perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Any combination of education or experience equivalent to graduation from high school and six months of experience working with people;
- Specialized courses may be necessary when assignments require specific courses or knowledge.
- Must possess the ability to carry a Department approved firearm and demonstrate proficiency in its use. Must be capable of making forcible arrests when and if necessary.
Incumbent has frequent contact with police personnel, other criminal justice agencies, law offenders and the general public. These contacts involve explanation or interpretation of work to provide service, carry out policies and laws and maintain coordination within the department.
Sau BaccaratAbility to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. The incumbent must have the ability to write clear, accurate reports, and express self orally in an authoritative manner, when necessary.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. The incumbent must have the ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Incumbent is responsible for enforcing all applicable laws while adhering to departmental regulations and procedures. Incumbent must make choices and take actions on a variety of relatively standardized assignments, however, individual analysis of every situation is required to determine the appropriate course of action. Work is normally reviewed for quality and accuracy at critical phases and upon completion. Errors in decisions or incorrect police procedures are readily detected and are corrected through supervisory review. Incumbent must complete a variety of moderately complex, relatively standardized tasks involving general patrol, investigation or specialized duty when assigned. The ability to apply the routine procedures and regulations that are relevant to the tasks is essential to successfully complete duties.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid Indiana Driver's License
- Must be able to drive an automobile safely and efficiently.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Physical agility and the ability to meet all prerequisites for age, weight, eyesight, height and physical and psychological capabilities;
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sau BaccaratThe incumbent has regular exposure to outside work and is normally standing or walking depending upon the assignment. Due to the nature of police work the potential for loss of life and physical injury are continually present. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat; explosives; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.